The epic.
There is one poetry style which has prevailed throughout history: The Epic.
Now, to be honest I'm not sure if you really call an epic a poetry style, because, in its most basic form, an Epic is just a really long poem, so technically any form of poetry can fall under this category. But on the flipside, poems are usually shorter than a novel, so I'll let you decide.
However, there is no denying the dedication it takes to write a full story in Rhyme. And honestly, I think it's somewhat of a flex. However, often Epics are ones that get remembered through history. Homer's "The Iliad", and "The Odyssey", Shakespeare's "Venus and Adonis", and Pushkin's "Ruslan and Ludmila", are just a few Epics that come to mind.
And to narrow down on two of these poems, The Iliad and The Odyssey, I think it's amazing how these poems survived and are still widely know, even though they where written almost 3,000 years ago(Well more in the ballpark of 2,781 years ago) and is just a testament to an Epic's truly epic nature.
I think something which makes Epics survive much longer is that they are a book which is meant to be read out loud. I think through rhyming it often makes it seem like it is being recited by a traveling bard, and removing a layer of disconnect a reader may have between himself and the story. When listening and reading Rusland and Ludmila, a few of the opening lines have always stuck with me. (Whether or not it had to do with me having to memorize and recite the first half of the poem I will never know)
Now, to be honest I'm not sure if you really call an epic a poetry style, because, in its most basic form, an Epic is just a really long poem, so technically any form of poetry can fall under this category. But on the flipside, poems are usually shorter than a novel, so I'll let you decide.
However, there is no denying the dedication it takes to write a full story in Rhyme. And honestly, I think it's somewhat of a flex. However, often Epics are ones that get remembered through history. Homer's "The Iliad", and "The Odyssey", Shakespeare's "Venus and Adonis", and Pushkin's "Ruslan and Ludmila", are just a few Epics that come to mind.
And to narrow down on two of these poems, The Iliad and The Odyssey, I think it's amazing how these poems survived and are still widely know, even though they where written almost 3,000 years ago(Well more in the ballpark of 2,781 years ago) and is just a testament to an Epic's truly epic nature.
I think something which makes Epics survive much longer is that they are a book which is meant to be read out loud. I think through rhyming it often makes it seem like it is being recited by a traveling bard, and removing a layer of disconnect a reader may have between himself and the story. When listening and reading Rusland and Ludmila, a few of the opening lines have always stuck with me. (Whether or not it had to do with me having to memorize and recite the first half of the poem I will never know)
"On seashore far a green oak towers,
And to it with a gold chain bound,
A learned cat whiles away the hours
By walking slowly round and round.
To right he walks, and sings a ditty;
To left he walks, and tells a tale...."
and
"All breathes of Russ, the Russ of old
There once was I, friends, and the с
As near him 'neath the oak I sat
And drank of sweet mead at my leisure,
Recounted tales to me.... With pleasure
One that I liked do I recall
And here and now will share with all..."
There once was I, friends, and the с
As near him 'neath the oak I sat
And drank of sweet mead at my leisure,
Recounted tales to me.... With pleasure
One that I liked do I recall
And here and now will share with all..."
I think these lines highlight that feeling of being told a tale. And often we are much more willing to fully let go and believe if we feel like we are being told this story by an actual person, rather than a omniscient narrator.
Comments
Post a Comment