uhh
Pee-Wee's big adventure was a really weird movie I have to say. Pee-Wee for me, was almost like a car crash in slow motion, I was constantly cringing, but just couldn't turn away.
I think one of the more interesting things about the movie is how so many of the characters reactions seem so... disingenuous? I guess I'm trying to get at is that people in Pee-Wee's big adventure act almost as if out of a children's movie. Which could be a parody, but it could also seem like the mental disillusion of Pee-Wee and his "perception" of the world around him, as we see the reality around him, and the dream to which the movie is opened to don't share any night and day differences.
But most likely, I'm just projecting my desire for a movie which blurs the lines between the reality and mind, as the premise is such an interesting one. I guess something which does what I wanted in a movie, not extremely well, but still encapsulates my thoughts is a game by the name of "We Happy Few" which, if I recall correctly, is about a post world war 2 dystopian society hidden under the guise of a utopia fueled by these extreme psychedelic drugs of "pure happiness" and how as the drug wears off for some people, they begin to see how decrepit everything is around them.
so yeah... I guess in conclusion, I love satire works. there's something great about their blowing things out of proportion to an extreme just to reveal how silly certain tropes can be.
I think one of the more interesting things about the movie is how so many of the characters reactions seem so... disingenuous? I guess I'm trying to get at is that people in Pee-Wee's big adventure act almost as if out of a children's movie. Which could be a parody, but it could also seem like the mental disillusion of Pee-Wee and his "perception" of the world around him, as we see the reality around him, and the dream to which the movie is opened to don't share any night and day differences.
But most likely, I'm just projecting my desire for a movie which blurs the lines between the reality and mind, as the premise is such an interesting one. I guess something which does what I wanted in a movie, not extremely well, but still encapsulates my thoughts is a game by the name of "We Happy Few" which, if I recall correctly, is about a post world war 2 dystopian society hidden under the guise of a utopia fueled by these extreme psychedelic drugs of "pure happiness" and how as the drug wears off for some people, they begin to see how decrepit everything is around them.
so yeah... I guess in conclusion, I love satire works. there's something great about their blowing things out of proportion to an extreme just to reveal how silly certain tropes can be.
Nice post! Watching the movie was a really weird experience for me too. There were parts that were really funny but I think what made me uncomfortable was that it was so surreal that it was often difficult to tell who or what the movie was making fun of. I get that it was satire of kid's shows but (for example) the weird mixture of adults who were children, children who were children, and adults who were adults made it seem like the movie could be mocking people with developmental disabilities.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was watching the movie I was wondering whether or not Pee-Wee had some sort of mental difficulty because of how he acted but then again he was always aware of how he was acting, and I didn't know if that was intentional or not. Since the movie is always from Pee-Wee's point of view it could all just be a vivid hallucination of how the events went down that Pee-Wee has recalled. Only problem is that everyone else that he met on his adventure remembers it all the same way.
ReplyDeleteWe never hear about Pee-Wee's family, nor do we hear about his career. My theory is that his parents died in a tragic accident when he was young. As a result of the trauma, Pee-Wee acts like a child, because he never got the nurturing he needed. Pee-Wee then had to go through the foster system, which made him weary of other people, hence his "I'm a lone wolf" attitude. Then he finally was placed with a kind family where he learned how to be charismatic and found a new interest in machinery. His passion and child-like behavior combined to him starting his own toy company which is successful. And now he has a steady income to care for himself and horrible trauma that will haunt him for the rest of his life, with child behavior being the only thing close to a remedy.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the ideas in this post. I hadn't thought to deeply about what was happening in the movie so this was interesting. I would love to have this movie be as you said: a blurring of reality. That would certainly make sense with the characters and the random events that take place.
ReplyDeleteI looked up we happy few after reading this and it seems like an interesting concept, as I've always been a fan of dystopias. Also this concept of reality being warped reminds me a lot of alice & wonderland syndrome, in which people occasionally have these episodes that are very reminiscent to the book of the same title. It's these situations in which I find it interesting as to how differently one could really perceive reality.
ReplyDelete