Why does my chapter have all the weird stuff.
If you guys remember my MS Paint level presentation (hay don't you go think that I half assed it though! That took me over 5 hours worth of hardcore power point work, and like another 4 worth of procrastinating, even if I got side tracked with adding unnecessary details... Plus sticking to a pure black and white theme is pretty hard.) well, even if the presentation ended up comical, I have to be honest and say that there were some worrying and awkward details that ended up coming into light while I made my power point.
Part 1: The Kiddie Table
You know this is one of the least mentioned details, but I find the weirdest. What is it with Greeks and incest. They're not super super into it, but like its mentioned a few times in Odysseus. Like, Hera, a god, is both the wife, but also the sister of Zeus... Kind of awkward when a God and their relationship with others and the world is the "golden ideal". Now, you could brush this off as giving some "awkward humility" to the gods, but no, they continue to endorse it with Aeolus. Now we start off with "We reached the floating island of Aeolus, who is well loved by all the deathless gods."(Book 10. Lines 1-2) so, you already immediately know that all the gods are all like
"Hello! [Insert gods name here], the [insert gods role]. Charmed I’m sure. I’m going to invite you to mount Olympus, but first, let me ravage your castle. Bullshit. Bullshit. Derivative... Now that, I love, I absolutely love!"
"Sir, that's just the chamber pot..."
Part 1: The Kiddie Table
"Hello! [Insert gods name here], the [insert gods role]. Charmed I’m sure. I’m going to invite you to mount Olympus, but first, let me ravage your castle. Bullshit. Bullshit. Derivative... Now that, I love, I absolutely love!"
"Sir, that's just the chamber pot..."
“I want it! It’s everything! I mean, look at us. We’re just chamber pots. I mean after all, we’re just walking around on the planet, living, breathing, filling our brains with useless shit.”
"... I never thought of it that way"(Basically ripped from it's always sunny in Philadelphia, search "Ongo Gablogian – Sunny in Philadelphia ")
But then Odysseus throws you a real curve ball with
"Around it, on sheer cliffs, there runs a wall of solid bronze, impregnable. Twelve children live with him in his palace: six strong boys and six girls. He arranged their marriages, one sister to each brother. (...) At night they sleep beside the wives they love on rope beds piled with blankets."
So like two things, first how casually he is both able to make it seem, but also how none caring Odysseus is to the idea of intermarriage(oh and also how much this sounds like the stereotypical joke about the trump loving Alabamian) So I guess a subject to explore deeper, how okay where Greeks with incest.
Part 2: The other stuff
And now a two in one combo because I'm running out of creative steam to keep my train of through afloat: How is Odysseus single handily managing to swoon every single maiden he comes across and also sleeping with every minor goddess he meets while still staying "faithful" to his wife. And also do the gods really pity Odysseus or are they trying to just make a good story. So to start with Odysseus being a lady killer, first off, since this is his narrative, is he making it up/ misreading signals. Guess what I'm trying to get at is, could somebody make a version of Odysseus with just the perspective of supporting characters. Like I could totally see a version where Odysseus comes to Nausicaa and he's like totally gone off his rocker. And so she runs to her father while Odysseus is just sitting and hearing things from Athena while in reality he's just conversing with a stump. Than her father realizes that the crazy dude is actually Odysseus and feels bad for him and so forces his daughter to clean him up and make him feel at home. Then he offers Odysseus to stay to which Odysseus just replies by jumping out of a window and scampering to the wild like some sort of comical big foot. And also what happens if he just mistakes someone for a Goddess in like a drunken stupor, and then wakes up the next morning like "Ooooh Shi-" and just makes up sleeping with a goddess as a cover up. And then about the gods, like do they really like him. I guess what I'm going at is if they really pitted him *Cough Cough* Athena *Cough Cough* they would have just stopped his sailors from opening the bag of wind. Or later on warned him about the giants on Laestrygonians. I guess that's just some food for thought.
Great post! I especially like the last point you bring up about how the gods are basically playing chess with Odysseus for their own amusement. That is definitely something I also noticed while reading the book. It always seems like they find it entertaining to watch the humans run around at the whim of the gods.
ReplyDeleteI think incest was a pretty common thing for royal families in ancient times (not endorsing it, but...). Its the classic "keep the wealth in the family line", etc. Maybe the Olympians wanted to keep their Olympian blood "pure" so Zeus and Hera had kids because there really wasn't any other gods that were suitable. Well, until Zeus starts sleeping with mortals.
ReplyDeleteI also didn't really notice the incest that much until you mentioned it. I think that when I first heard it, I didn't understand that the brothers and sisters were marrying each other. Also, your idea for an alternate narrative from the supporting characters' points of view is interesting. It brings up the question of whether or not Odysseus is a reliable narrator. Good job!
ReplyDeleteNice! How casual they all are about incest always makes me do a double take any time I see it. It happens frequently enough to be weird but not frequently enough for me to be adjusted to it by how. Also, I totally get your points about how odd it is that Odysseus is just killin it with the ladies, so it's totally a plausible right turn for him to be suuper delusional or evens straight up making it up. Another thing that I keep questioning is why nobody ever feels bad for the girls the Odysseus just hits and quits, sure they're usually kinda sketch ladies at least in one way or another but Odysseus seems to never consider their feelings and they still love him.
ReplyDeleteThat is so weird, when you mention the incest thing, because Oedipus is from the same time period and his and his family's entire lives were ruined because of incest (and they didn't even know it was incest, so it feels like they should get a pass). Meanwhile, Aeolus, beloved of the gods, is marrying all of his children to each other and the gods just ... choose to ignore it?
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone else have an idea on why Aelous and Oedipus can exist in the same universe? Are they at different time periods in Greece or something?
Nice post. You raise a lot of interesting points, like the one about the gods manipulating Odysseus and his journey for their own amusement. I agree with your point that if Athena was really rooting for Odysseus she could have brought him home much sooner. It seems like much of his quest was unnecessary, and with Odysseus being the one to tell it to us, we also can't be sure how true it is (like the fact that he sleeps with so many women). On the flip side, he does often paint himself in an unflattering light, so maybe he is a reliable narrator? Hard to tell.
ReplyDelete