A change in topic.

Right now, I don't think I have the stomach to talk about the slaughter in the halls or the ending of Odysseus and the various implications it had. So I think I'll just discuss a happier point: Just how much I love all romanticized mythologies. Like when we where watching O Brother, Where Art Thou The incorporation of these various folk lore struck a cord with me. Partly because of their inclusion, partly because It reminded me of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I guess to start off with this church prepossession of rows upon rows of silent goers clothed in white garments. The feeling I got was almost... haunting. I guess it hearkens back to something I would have expected to see in an episode of X-Files, or when I used to watch Doctor Who. Which just goes to show how interesting and evoking this American ghost myth lies, especially with its heavy handed christian roots. Actually, the more I think about it the more I realize, America is probably the country most fascinated by ghosts. And you know what, I kind of want to know why that is? If I was to make a hypothesis on why, it would probably be due to America being a wildly unexplored frontier, meant it was full of the unknown. And the only predominant settlers other than Europeans in that land where the Native Americans meant that their spiritual beliefs may have partly influenced our fascination with ghosts. Speaking of which, have you guys ever had any "ghost" encounters? Me, well my stance, like Everett is that "I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.", but the closest I may have had to an experience is when I was 10 I think? I was on an airplane after a really long flight and we had returned back to New York after summer vacation, and now don't forget it was like 1 AM, but I could have sown I saw saw a streak of white tattered dress fly through from the floor and out the top.

And I guess to continue on with this theme of Christianity, I really do love, irregardless of its possible slightly racial connotations, the idea of the man who sold his soul to the devil to play their instrument to an level past mortals. I guess what I love is this idea of bargaining with the devil, trying to underhand the one who under hands. Its like sticking your head into the maw of a lion. I think one of my favorite examples of this is in one of the internet comics that I read on the rare occurrence that it comes out.



So I guess here, what makes it so alluring to follow a hero, or almost an anti-hero, who receives something of great value from an evil source, and his battle than to escape the clutches of said evil.

Comments

  1. I did not anticipate the turn of this blog, but I'm here for it. I think you bring up some good points about connections between Christianity and Ghost fascination. I guess what I thought about as I read through was the fact that America was also built on the foundation of religion, so it makes sense that we are addicted to ghost stories. It's also interesting how seamlessly O Brother and the Odyssey can craw parallels in regards to religion. Overall, great blog and very cool cartoon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts