Russian Home Remedies

Being sick is no fun, and given that November has started, I think these few Russian cold remedies will help anyone who may have gotten sick get well faster.

My first, and probably favorite home remedy is tea with raspberries. I think based off the name itself the process of making it would be self explanatory, you just take tea, preferably black, raspberries, they can even be frozen, put it all in a cup and mash it together with a spoon. Now I think the reason as to why it works is that most berries, raspberries and blueberries in particular, have Quercetin, which works both as an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine chemicals.

A lot of Russians also swear by is downing a spoonful or more of honey. The reason behind this is actually quite interesting, and its because honey is a natural antibiotic. Why? It's because honey is compromised primarily out of two sugars, fructose and glucose; while only 17% of it is actually water. This means that any bacteria, fungi, and other harmful invaders will have the water sucked out of them by honey. This is also why honey does not spoil. However, for some its too sweet to eat by the spoonful so the, albeit less effective method, is to mix it in to your tea with raspberries.

The next remedy, probably the smelliest of the bunch, is to put garlic into a sock or some other thing bag of clothe, and pin it underneath your nose. Usually I only wear it only at home, or at least right before I go to sleep, but some are willing to wear it everywhere in the name of getting better quicker. And it may seem weird as to why this works, but the answer to it lays in plane sight: Garlic's Smell. The reason why garlic smells like it does is because it has an abundant amount of a certain sulfuric compound. And that specific sulfuric compound acts as a powerful antioxidant.

And lastly, and probably my most hated remedy, is like the kind of end all to any persistent sore throat that one might have, is a gargle with warm salt water. However, the worst part is just how effective it is. Usually I think its a teaspoon of salt per cup of water, and than gargle several times a day. I usually can only stomach once or twice but I think four or five is optimal. I think it works by rinsing out any sort of loose skin, calming down inflammation, and killing at least most of the bacteria(Through osmosis I think)

Hopefully these remedies may help you in your future endeavours, and just so if you're looking not to get sick again,  remember to never go outside when its cold or windy with a wet head.


Comments

  1. My personal favorite is honey with a big squeeze of lemon juice, but I'll have to give raspberries a try. I'm sure the Russians know a thing or two about colds, and I can picture nobody better than an old Russian woman to know just how to cure these ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting because my family swears on Chinese medicine, and we also believe that downing spoonfuls of honey is helpful! My dad often makes me a cup of jasmine tea with lemon and honey mixed into it when I have a sore throat or cold, and it's the best remedy ever. I never knew the reason behind why honey works so well as a remedy, and now I know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I don't think I have the willpower to go through with any of these--maybe except for the tea, that one sounds good. I don't think I could handle straight up smelling garlic the entire day and drinking salt water. Whenever I get sick I just start downing water nonstop, glass after glass until I get better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts